Saturday 23 July 2016

Short Story: The First Kiss

The First Kiss

It was a long summer night. Nothing much to do either. No one to cross the river. No cars. Not even any dogs. The bridge lay there quietly gazing at the moon. It was quite a bright night too - two nights after the full moon.

"But not that bright!", the bridge thought. "Nothing could ever be as bright as that lovely night ...", he mumbled.
The river, unmindful of the bridge above, trickled on. The summer had been harsh. Now, even the rains were late. It was accepted, though. Such was the life of a river here in these rugged and barren mountains.

"Why wont it snow here?", the river gave her practiced inward sigh, leaving not even a faint ripple on the surface, "It would be lovely then - water all year, no parched fields ..."

"Don't you remember that night?", the bridge beamed.

"No! ... What? ... Who?", the flustered river snaps out of her dream.

"Do you remember them? Our first couple! ... The first kiss?!"

"Oh, that? ... I think you mean your first couple. I've had a few before you came along." Evidently, the river was a bit angry at the interruption.

"All right lady! ... My first couple! Do you remember them?"

"Yea I do ... What about them?"

"Oh, they were lovely! weren't they? The way they walked on to my middle: hand-in-hand, coy eyes filled with love. And then they sat on my ledge, looking at the beautiful moon! They were speaking. Softly; so softly that even I couldn't hear them"

"You had nothing better to do?", the river interrupts.

"Look! I think the man proposed the woman that night! Or maybe promised something. Whatever it was, it made the woman very happy. And I love happiness! ... Don't you?!"

"Go on ..."

"And then, after a moment they kissed! Oh, it was lovely! Two people happily in love! I was honoured to witness it. I really was! The moon then seemed to shine brighter ... Oh so beautiful!"

"Ahem", the river contemplated for a moment before retorting, "Then please tell me who threw the ring?"

"Huh?! .. What ring?"

"Well, after the kiss, as they were leaving, one of them threw a ring on me. Who was it? You must have seen it right? It was your brightest night ..."

"No way ... You are making it up!" The bridge shuddered and turned away to gaze at the moon again.

"The people do strange things ... He should learn before its too late ...", the wise river contemplated and quietly trickled on; her banks holding the bridge firm. She would not let go ...

-x-x-x

© Parched For Rain
Blog Contents

No comments:

Post a Comment